Hospedería Fonseca • Universidad de Salamanca
29 June - 2 July, 2015 Salamanca (Spain)

Monuments to visit

Plaza Mayor:

Surely the most beautiful spanish porched squares. Built in Baroque rule during the eighteenth century, includes the Town Hall, closing the north side in the same building style.    

Torre del aire:

Old Palace of Fermoselle, of italian silhouette with beautiful and mullioned windows, built in the fifteenth century.

 
Casa de las Conchas:

Considered as the most representative monument of the civil art of the time of the Catholic Kings, was built in the late fifteenth century with a very remarkable railings outside.

San Martín:

Romanesque church of the twelfth century, with Plateresque and Baroque amendments.

 
La Clerecía:

Building started in 1617 on the initiative of Philip the 3rd, it contains a synthetic style church between Herrera and Baroque.

Palacio de la Salina o de Fonseca:

Built in 1538. Arcs of great interest, capitals and corbels in the inner yard. Today is the seat of the Council of Salamanca.

 
La Universidad:

It is the oldest of Spain by founding date, at the beginning of s. XIII. The current building has a facade plateresca carved in stone as if it were goldsmiths, with the bust of the Catholic Monarchs and the imperial coat of Carlos V. The main staircase has a rich coffered ceiling.

Palacio de Orellana:

Descriptive stately mansion of the passage from the Renaissance and Baroque in the seventeenth century.

 
Catedral Vieja:

Initiated in the twelfth century with the canons of Romanesque and continued in later centuries. Altarpiece of the italian Nicholas Florentino and a  byzantine dome known as "Torre del Gallo".

Santo Tomás de Canterbury:

Romanesque church built in 1175 by two english teachers, dedicated to St Thomas Becket. Emphasize their graves.

 
Catedral Nueva:

Iniciated by Gil de Hontañón at the beginning of s. XVI, it was not until 1733 culminated after the intervention of the best architects of the time. The main entrance is a compositional and ornamentation boast.

Antigua Iglesia de las Bernardas:

Currently within the College of Padres Escolapios. Initiated in 1552 by Gil de Hontañón, is the prototype of the fifteenth century churches Salamanca.

 
Palacio de Monterrey:

Built in 1539, is considered the most characteristic of the Spanish Renaissance palaces, and was copied in various cities until the twentieth century.

Toro y Puente romano:

Mentioned in the book "Lazarillo de Tormes", this bull is part of the shield of the city. The bridge is on the Roman road linking Mérida and Astorga (Vía de la Plata). Fifteen of the arches are still the traditional Roman ones.

 
Colegio Anaya:

Impresive Neoclasical inner yard, built in the late eighteenth to the heart of a building constructed four centuries earlier. Today is the scene of the Faculty of Arts.   

Escuelas Menores:

Beautiful Plateresque front covering the yard plenty of and “mixtilíneos” typical Salamanca arches. Today is an exhibition hall and the University Museum.

 
Convento de San Esteban:

The portico of the church with its "dust" and fine metalwork ornaments that look when they are impregnated by sunlight, is one of the most complete pictures of the Spanish Renaissance.

Iglesia de la Purísima:

Begun in 1636, the church is most suited to the Italian artistic standards among erected in Salamanca in the seventeenth century. The altarpiece has a beautiful painting of a "Immaculada" by José Ribera.

 
Convento de las Dueñas:

A surprising plateresque cover leads to the Renaissance cloister decorated with plane figures and amazing anthropomorphic volumes.

Colegio Mayor Fonseca (Irlandeses):

One of the most beautiful courtyards of the spanish renaissance. The church features a portrait of Alonso Berruguete.

 
Iglesia de Santiago:

Its Moorish apses remain as testimony of the original construction of the XII century. Current factory by architect Fernando Población, dated 1956.

Casa de las Muertes:

Its Plateresque decoration is assumed due to the same workmen that made the facade of the University. Medallions and effigy of Don Alonso de Fonseca, Patriarch of Alexandria.   

 
Casa Lis:

Actual Museum of Decorative Arts (Art Nouveau and Art Deco), is a modernist building whose facade soon turns to the narrow streets of the historic city and whose galleries and iron stairs back open like a waterfall into the river Tormes.

Convento y Museo de las Úrsulas:

Building on the first half of the sixteenth century, has a church tower of interest and a curious little museum.

 
Torre del Clavero:

From a classic square base fortification, an octagonal tower that suggests more artistic than warriors auction, emerges. It is the remnant of the former residence of Clavero of the Military Order of Calatrava.

San Juan de Bárbalos:

Romanesque church of the twelfth century.

 
Sancti Spiritus:

Church of the sixteenth century, with Gothic interior and Renaissance outside. Interesting tombs and altarpieces. Capilla del Cristo de los Milagros with Moorish paneling.

San Marcos:

Interesting circular Romanesque church.

 
Convento de Santa Clara:

Franciscan Foundation XIII century. Whose cloistered convent church choir and cloister can be visited by an original system of walkways and bridges.   

 

Salamanca
The University

VIII Centenario de la Universidad de SalamancaUniversidad de Salamanca